Great Central Railwayana Auctions

Auction Catalogue: Great Central Railwayana, 2 September 2017

Great Central Railwayana Auction Sale 234, Auction Lot 375
Lot 375 A nameplate, LYDFORD CASTLE, originally carried by the 4073 Castle Class 4-6-0 No 5079 built at Swindon in May 1939 and named after the castle overlooking the town of Lydford in north Devon. The nameplates were removed in November 1940 when the loco was renamed LYSANDER after the World War II aircraft but were re-used when fitted to the newly built Castle Class loco No 7006 in June 1946. Allocated to Shrewsbury by January 1948, No 7006 moved later that year to Cardiff Canton and Gloucester where it remained for almost ten years, transferring to Laira in April 1958 and later Cardiff Canton again, Worcester and Old Oak Common from where it was withdrawn on 16 December 1963 and sold for scrap to Birds Commercial Motors at Risca on 3 June 1964. £12000-15000